Tuesday, September 15, 2009

1959 JC Higgins Cruiser Bike gets a make over

So, I tried to tear down the Higgins bike all the way down, but I couldn't get the forks off the frame. I'm sure there was a lot of rust holding those 2 together. So, I mask off the chrome and hit the patina paint with some rattle can paint stripper. It worked pretty good. No worries about the chemical burn through the rubber gloves. :) ha ha Then I took some 220 grit sand paper and got as much paint off as I could. Then, I hit the bare metal frame with some cheap spray can satin clear coat. Then I took the light tank and masked off and sprayed a white "scallop". I think she turned out pretty cool. Here's a few pics!
JC Higgins beach cruiser bike
JC Higgins beach cruiser bike
JC Higgins beach cruiser bike
JC Higgins beach cruiser bike

2 comments:

Jay said...

Did you change the geometry of your front fork? The bottom of my fork on my Flightliner is in front of the hub. Yours seems to be in back of the front hub (thus, lowering your bike). It seems yours sits lower than my frame.

Chris said...

Hey Jay, thanks for the comment. Yes, I flipped the fork around. That bottom bracket, just unbolt it, flip it forward and reconnect. I think I may have swapped the left bracket to the right side and the right over to left. Search "flipped springer fork" on ratrodbikes.com, I learned it from that forum.