Sunday, August 26, 2007

Original Hechtrod




Check out these vintage Hechtrod pics, circa 1974 to 1976. I don't have all the specs but these are pics of my mom and dad with my dad's 1964 Mercury Comet Cyclone, equipped with a 289 and a 4 speed, later being upgraded with a 302. I think an automatic was installed and then removed. He owned it from about 1972 ish to about 1982 or 83. It's got Cragar wheels in front and stock steelies with cheater slicks. He ran a best of 13.70's in the 1/4 mile at the old Irwindale drag strip in California and would shift at 8000+ rpms. I remember my dad mentioning a lot of do it yourself modifications, such as Chevy dual valve springs and bigger valves, high compression pistons, 4.56 gears in a Ford 9" rear end, suspension tweaks in the rear for better traction and loud mufflers. :) This car cruised the streets of San Gabriel Valley in the early 1970's. It was sold after a teenage girl ran through our garage in her car and busted up the passenger side. Man I wish I could find that car.

No comments: