Friday, July 24, 2009

2 Suby Test Drive

So, today at lunch, I found time to check out 2 Suby's. The first one was a 2002 WRX wagon with Cobb Stage 2 mods (full turboback exhaust w/ cat, Cobb accessport stage 2), factory boost guage and short shifter (w/ STi knob) and stock suspension. It didn't have the pop that poppirod's Rex has, but I'm sure its because poppi runs the manual boost controller. It was pretty hot too and when I got there and popped the hood, I could feel heat, so he must have been driving it. It's super clean, has 115k miles and he's asking $8000. I could probably get it for $7700 or so if I offer $7500.


The second test drive was a 1995 Subaru Impreza L with a JDM (japanese domestic market) WRX engine and tranny swap, WRX sway bars, Eibach lowering springs, front mounted intercooler, no a/c and a Sparco race steering wheel (fails Christy's 2 requirements). It has all kinds of tuning crap running an STi turbo and full catless turboback exhaust. I wasn't impressed. It's claimed to be running around 300hp, but it felt no faster than the Stage 2 wagon. I noticed on the boost controller that it was only peaking at .75MPa (about 11 psi). It has a super stiff clutch with springs that chattered really bad when off throttle/load and a clanking rear upper strut bar (really annnoying and sort of unnerving). So, I told him thanks but no thanks.

So, the wagon is a possibility. It has a good working a/c, good starting mods (just needs some sweet white 17x9 wheels and lowering springs) and just passed a multipoint inspection at the Subaru dealership for a prospective buyer who bailed out. We'll see...

No comments: